Powered Up Inc. – Salt Lake Valley Electricians – Utah

salt_lake_city_electricians

8 Electrical Safety Tips For Every Sandy, Utah Homeowner

Electrical safety is an essential part of staying safe in the home. It includes ensuring all electrical wiring, outlets, and appliances are up to code and functioning properly. Common misconceptions about electrical safety include believing that it isn’t necessary to check the age of your house’s wiring or outlets or assuming that using extension cords makes a space safer than hard-wiring directly from the breaker box. While these may seem like logical assumptions, they can be dangerous and should not be relied on when dealing with electricity in your home. So, let’s jump into some top tips to keep your home and family safe.

General Electrical Guidelines and Tips

When it comes to electrical safety, make sure all of your home’s wiring and outlets are up to code and functioning properly. A great way to ensure this is by never overloading the circuit breakers. Don’t plug in too many appliances or electronics into one outlet at a time, as this can cause an overload on the breaker and potentially lead to fires or electrocution.

Everyone home has Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) receptacles throughout the house for added protection against electric shock or fire due to ground faults from water contact with electrical fixtures. These GFCIs should be tested regularly according to manufacturer instructions for maximum protection. Any areas with potential hazards, such as bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, etc., should have their own dedicated circuits, which will help prevent overloaded circuits and improve overall electrical safety in those spaces.

When dealing with electricity in your home, all outlets should be kept clean and dry at all times so dust particles do not accumulate near them, which could act as conductors between live components leading to shock hazards if touched accidentally.

Electrical Appliances and Tools

When using tools and appliances in your home, being aware of the potential hazards is important. Extension cords should always be used with caution as they can become overloaded easily if too many items are plugged into them at once. A good rule of thumb is to check the wattage rating for each outlet before plugging anything in to ensure there will not be an overload. Additionally, one should take care when unplugging appliances from outlets as yanking on the cord could cause electrical shocks due to exposed wires or frayed cords.

Smaller household appliances such as irons, hair dryers, and curling wands should also be inspected for any damaged wiring that may have been caused over time by general wear and tear, which could lead to safety issues down the line. It’s crucial that you do not use a tool or appliance until any problems are fixed by a qualified technician or replaced entirely with a new model if necessary.

When disposing of old tools and appliances, make sure all power sources have been disconnected completely before attempting removal to avoid sparks. This will help prevent potential shock hazards and provide added protection against fires being started accidentally from discarded items still containing residual electricity within their wiring systems.

Lighting and Power Outages

When it comes to protecting your home and electronics during a power outage, having the right materials and supplies is important. Having surge protectors installed on any expensive electronic devices, such as computers or TVs, will help protect them from any sudden spikes in electricity that can occur when power is restored after an outage. It’s also important to unplug non-essential items such as lamps or fans during a power outage so they don’t cause a fire hazard when the lights come back on suddenly.

It’s always a good idea to keep an emergency kit stocked with essential items like food, water, flashlights (with extra batteries), and first aid supplies so that you’re prepared for power outages or extended blackouts due to bad weather or other unforeseen circumstances. Additionally, it may be beneficial for households living in areas prone to frequent blackouts to invest additional resources into generating their own energy supply through solar panels or wind turbines, both of which allow users to generate some electricity.

Hiring a Professional

Homeowners can do a lot on their own to keep their home safe. Some tasks, however, should only be done by a trained and licensed electrician. Without the right skills and knowledge, attempting to tackle electrical repair jobs can be dangerous and even deadly. 

One of the first warning signs that it is time to call an electrician is when you notice any flickering or dimming lights throughout your home. This could indicate that there are loose connections within your wiring system that need attention from a qualified professional immediately to avoid potential shocks or fires due to this issue being left unattended.

If you live in an older home, it may also be beneficial to call an electrician, as they can check whether or not your house’s wiring system meets current safety standards set by local codes. Outdated wiring systems may put you at risk for fires if not handled quickly. This should always take priority over any other repair work needed around the house if found during an inspection by a licensed technician.

Consider a thorough inspection of all outlets, switches, and circuit breakers throughout your property by a licensed Utah electrician. They will help identify any potential problems early on before they become serious hazards. We are doing our part to keep Sandy, Utah homeowners safe and educated when it comes to electrical issues in the Salt Lake Valley! Call us today for your next electrical project!
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Email